Friday, July 11, 2008

Cattle

Haley hung out with me and the horses on Wednesday. This was awesome because after we caught all the horses Jorge was about to go herd some cows. I decided that I wanted to go along, so I hopped on Parnaso, and Haley got on Muchacha and then Jorge let the cows out and sent us out. Note that he didn´t come with us! We had NO idea what we were doing but we did know the cows were heading the wrong way. I trotted up to head them off (or rather, to see if I could head them off) and Haley stayed back to steer them towards the gate. We had them going in a nice line until one cow broke off, then two others left the group too. Now, I don´t think that it would have been that hard to catch the renegade cows if we had been on flat ground but these cows went over to the rockiest part of the hill and spread out. Parnaso and I headed towards them and somehow managed to get them all going back towards Haley when Jorge finally showed up to help. At the very least, we provided some entertainment for all who were outside on Wednesday morning. With Jorge´s help we had the cows rounded up and in their new pasture in no time at all. It was awesome, and I hope to someday be able to herd cattle like Jorge!
-Katie

2 comments:

Trudy said...

I hope you took pictures. I would love to see Haley trying to heard cattle. Thanks for writing about your adventure. --Haley's mom

Trudy said...

Excuse my spelling--I meant "herd cattle"

Blessings---