Friday, July 11, 2008

Coffee Plantation

Once again, Kendra reporting on her summer. This week has been wonderful, but yesterday was an especially good day. I went to the Mission Lazarus coffee plantation with Gustavo and a few others. On the way up, we spoke of the dairy production at Las Palmas and I learned a lot about its operation. Once we got on top of the mountain, Gustavo showed us around the coffee plantation for about an hour. It was amazing. He took us to this one mountain overlook which was beyond description. It was so beautiful. The landscape unfolded before us and all over to the left we could see Nicaragua. I could even see a small Nicaraguan town nestled in a mountain valley. Over to the right, I could see parts of Choluteca. All I could do was gasp in amazement at the great beauty my God had created.

Later, we had bean soup and tortillas for lunch. It was absolutely amazing. I was amused because the Hondurans were surprised that I liked it. They told me that most Americans do not care for this particular dish. Oh well, guess I am weird. I really will miss Honduran food when I leave. So much, that I may just have to attempt to learn to make tortillas.

I was able to speak with some of the farmers on the mountain. It was so cool interacting with them and learning about their agricultural practices. We ended up having an indepth discussion about the root causes of problems for Honduran farmers and what could potentially be done to solve these problems. It was a thought provoking discussion and I am pleased with what I have learned.

It was also amusing because the first man I interviewed wanted to play a joke on the others. He told them I was a nurse and I wanted to give them shots. They were afraid and did not want to come speak to me. Gregorio had to go and explain that I only wanted to interview them about agriculture. It was a fun time.

God taught me so much yesterday and I am still thinking about some of the things that happened. He has completely surprised me yet again. Personally, I think that he enjoys doing that.

No comments: